Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Incompetent Writers Support Group

The Insecure Writers Support Group is a wonderful thing. However, they post on the first Wednesday of the month and this is, um, the third Tuesday. Anyhow, this is when I've got something to say.

I'm not usually all that insecure about my writing, which is why I don't participate in IWSG. And actually, I'm not going to talk about feeling insecure -- I'm going to talk about feeling plain old incompetent. (I am secure in my incompetence.)

Writing queries, synopses, and even back cover blurbs can do that to you. I post mine over at Absolute Write for feedback, and the blinding glare of absolutely impartial criticism can make anyone throw up their hands and say No, I don't know why anyone would want to read this pile of crap, okay?

When you fall off the horse, it's okay to lie in the mud and bitch a bit. But you do have to haul yourself up and get back on the horse.

I don't know why I got the idea I should write a back cover blurb that covers both Disciple, Part I and Part II. Well, no, I know why I got the idea -- I don't know why I thought it would be any easier than writing a blurb for just one of them. Part II is just a bitch to explain without resorting to "Because s/he wants to do the right thing!" or "Because they're not supposed to!"

Which never sounds compelling. It just doesn't. If I were better at this, if I were more artistic, if I wasn't so damn incompetent... I've written how many of these things, now? Why isn't it getting any easier?

Get up out of the mud. Get back on the horse. It's a story, not the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything.

Besides, there are four more parts of Disciple to write back cover blurbs for. (shudders)

See what all the fuss is about! (manic laughter) -->

OK, seriously, time to get out of the mud now. Where'd the horse go?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post. I hate that saying about getting back up on the horse though. It's personal. When I was younger, I was thrown from a horse... into a tree... But the message is wonderful. It's hard to take hard criticism and not move on from it. I hope all goes well on your blurbs!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Well, I read your book and thought you are an incredible writer so I see no incompetence from here. :)

Liz A. said...

"When you fall off the horse, it's okay to lie in the mud and bitch a bit."

Great line. And so true. You do need that moment (or day) to just be pissed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...