Thursday, May 24, 2012

Mid-year's Resolutions

At the beginning of the year, I had resolved to query Course Corrections and hopefully finish the six parts of Disciple.

My CC query is currently sitting in the e-slush pile of a small press publisher whose work I've enjoyed. Part IV of Disciple is in progress and I'm getting chunks of Parts V and VI as lines of sight open up. Remember the asteroid bombardment (starts at 6:30) at the beginning of Armageddon? It's kinda like that...

Whatever happens with CC, I've decided that I will publish by the end of 2012. My post on T: Target during the A to Z Challenge got my mind rolling and I've done some homework on freelance editing services, proofreading services, and the cost thereof. Next up: cover artists, tips on html e-book layout, promotional services, and finding those ISBNs bought back when I was just another fool in the RPG publishing industry. (Long story, bad ending, don't ask...)

While I've gotten positive responses to CC, I can't help noticing that Disciple gets stronger, more positive responses. Plus, it's a six-part monstrosity I can roll out, not just a book and a sequel. So let's lead with that. I resolve to publish Disciple, Part I: For Want of a Piglet by the end of 2012.

There will be a Kickstarter project and I will gladly offer e-books, POD paperbacks, autographs, cookies, firstborns, whatever else people would like as an incentive. What kinds of goodies would you want?

No dates carved in stone yet, only that I should finish Part IV before the end of June and that's probably when the Kickstarter project will get put together. And I'll revise Part III. And work on Part V, and, and, and.

If you'd like to recommend a fantasy artist who is looking for work, please comment! I've been stumbling around deviantart.com overwhelmed by the talent out there.

In unrelated news, I was awarded:

by Alicia of Saffron Wine (Who recently posted about various oils to use in the kitchen. I must confess to using just plain old canola, rendered chicken fat and sometimes bacon grease, as I am, uh, a "rustic style" cook... good thing my cholesterol is OK. :D) Thank you, Alicia!

Now, she did not answer questions or provide factoids as I've seen on other blogs that got this award. So I will answer up to seven questions posted in comments, so long as they are not too personal.

In more relevant news: 
Next week is my first shift at the helm of Unicorn Bell! I will be talking about dialogue in all its wild and wooly forms, and volunteering to critique submissions. If you have anything you'd like me to tackle in specific, post in the comments and I'll try it next week over at Unicorn Bell.

7 comments:

Bluestocking said...

These are some amazing plans! I remember the Target post and wondering if you would actually go that route or not. You have my support when things get rolling! As to cover art, the Illustrators of the Future contest might be another place to look for talent...

Alicia Willette-Cook said...

No Problem L! And there is nothing wrong with using Rendered fat (of any kind!) it's just got a Super low burn point...and generally goes bad really fast. But I LOVE bacon! Use it all the time.

I look forward to your first week at UB!! Good Luck!

Stina said...

Congrats on the award. That's how I found your blog. I already follow unicorn bell, so I'll be on the look out for your post next week.

Good luck with your books. It's great that you have so many books for a series. That will help you with gaining a fan base. :D

blankenship.louise said...

I'll check that out, thanks!

blankenship.louise said...

I keep it in the freezer. It's soft enough to cut even when it's frozen.

See you over at UB!

blankenship.louise said...

See you next week :)

Libby said...

Hey L! Good luck and happy publishing. Have you checked out JA Konrath's blog, A Newbie's Guide to Publishing? He has a link to his cover design artist. A touch pricy but really good covers. Really good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...