Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Endings

"Things are going to be different around here."

Maybe not the best ending line. Not the most definitive. Unfortunately, I can already see another outline of events spooling out from this ending. At least one major personal disaster. And a larger, more serious armed confrontation on the Jovian frontier.

The stuff I said about giving your characters some rein and trusting them? Double edged sword.

First things first: need to go back and chart my MC's progression from angry and uncertain to a half-good leader. Pulled out 48 Laws of Power for a brush-up. Recommended reading for writers who've never been in positions of authority (like myself). Also, Machiavelli's The Prince. Timeless.

I read a lot of nonfiction. Maybe a bit too much. People talk about thus-and-such hot new author in science fiction or fantasy and I generally have no idea. There's only how many hundreds of books being published per month?

Comment to recommend your faves published in the last few years! (please stick to SF/F)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...